Updated Foundation Tokens Delegation Framework

The following is an updated framework for Treasury network delegations and we invite the community for feedback.

Current State

Treasury delegations since genesis have been loosely managed using basic constraints with a range of caveats encompassing disparate obligations and needs as they arose. We needed to heavily incentivize our initial set of validators in order to effectively bootstrap the network at genesis.

Desired State

We need to revisit our existing delegations and prioritize a different set of factors since our market and project has matured. To create a more flexible but resolute delegation framework, we are proposing a basic framework to a “constitution” that will help govern the delegations of the project’s treasury. Moving forward, the delegation framework will still retain the flexibility required to evolve with the network, but the baseline requirements will be guided by our experience and needs as a maturing market and ecosystem.

Our delegations will be earned and maintained by consistent, professional, and accretive contributions to the Akash Network. We will govern delegations to validators per the following principles and parameters:

1. Max Validator Commission: 3% - Validators are free to set their commissions as they see fit, but delegations from the project will generally be reserved for validators with a commission of 3% or less.

2. Max Rank Cap: Akash will generally not delegate to validators ranked 25 or higher (voting power). Overriding obligations or extraordinary contributions by validators will still enable additional delegations despite being top 25.

3. Concentration & Decentralization:

• Akash will generally not delegate to validators with >5% of voting power
  • Akash will generally not delegate >2mm AKT per validator

4. Validators must proactively contribute to the community. For example:

• Vitwit: strategic technical partners, Discord moderator, maintains testnet leaderboard, assists community and maintaining Aneka’s block-explorer
  • Forbole: Maintaining BigDipper, deploying production ready-applications on Akash.
  • Cosmostation: Maintaining Web and Mobile Wallet and Mintscan.
  • Develop and maintain technical literature such as deployment guides, hosting applications, validator infrastructure (API/RPC, sentry, testnet nodes, websites, production grade applications, developer/network tooling, etc)

5. Validators must maintain operational excellence, be commercially responsible, and maintain a technically sound and secure validator.

6. Validators should maintain a trustworthy public presence with a website and/or on social media that clearly indicates they’re validating Akash, with clear contact information for delegators for support.

7. Active participation in governance proposals and upgrades. Being absent for critical proposals is a dereliction of a validator’s duties and will significantly impact Akash’s delegations.

8. Additional delegation bonus: hosting non-critical infrastructure, such as the validator’s website, sentry nodes, or other workloads on Akash and sharing that with the community. Include “Powered by Akash” logo on websites, validator pages, etc for infrastructure running on the Akash Cloud.

9. Akash will review its delegations approximately once per month and make necessary updates to its delegations according to the parameters stated previously. At the same time, Akash will also review these parameters and make updates as necessary.

24 Likes

Hey @boz_m , thank you very much for putting this out! I think more evenly distributing delegations and weighing them by contributions is great. For #9, it may be hard for the foundation to track everything every validator does for Akash. I wonder if it helps to have some sort of form that validators can fill at any time to make their case for delegation adjustments. Batches of submissions will then be reviewed by the foundation at the start of every month or so to guide delegation decisions.

1 Like

This is an excellent measure of validator Akash community commitment and professional network/security infrastructure.

I would suggest adding in contributions to the Cosmos HUB and sister blockchain projects/partners (and their communities).

1 Like

Very fair rules for keeping healthy ecosystem.
We are not a member of Main Net cluster, but active Akash supporter in all areas.
May the Force go with you guys :rocket:

In full support of this as is. Really excited to see a further decentralized network. There are a lot of passionate validators out there that contribute heavily to the network but see no upside and we are happy for that to change!

1 Like

So what if I want to setup validator at a data center I have plenty of capacity to do whatever I want - but not want to be forced into being a mod or something “active” role as I do not have time? Seems a bit loose on the definition and being a true decentralized ecosystem there should be no one that can be subjective in determining value… just saying it may be a sore spot for those of us who want to contribute resources and some time as we get it but not be stuck in an undesired role wherein it may feel like you’re handcuffed or chained to a project. Time is the only thing we never get back.

2 Likes

@boz_m This is a great set of guidelines that provides a “Start” towards strengthening the network.

As a Genesis Validator, we have always tried to promote the Akash Network and participate actively in the Akash events. It seems that we do not see enough validators participating in the Discord and Telegram chat forums nor do many of the validators even maintain a website promoting the fact that they provide Akash Staking opportunities.

We especially like the focus on decentralizing the network based on Rule #2 & #3 above. Akash has a great validator network. However, the majority of the 75 validators have less than 1% of the voting Power. This is a major area of concern and should be addressed in future distributions.

Thanks for putting this together and hopefully this will continue forward, as a work in progress, and be closely monitored each month!

1 Like

No one is stopping you from setting up a Node, if you can secure the funding to get in the active set then you are contributing towards decentralization (active set is becoming easier to get into as the amount of active nodes is increasing) I believe everyone who wants to contribute towards decentralization should also want to contribute towards growth of the network as well. Also, running a node is not profitable unless it’s incentivized and I think incentivizing validators to contribute however they can aside from validator infrastructure is a good idea. Think about how many of the top 20 validators don’t currently do much, a lot of tokens are going to be re-delegated to the smaller validators if they contribute. I know a bunch of people who run non validator infrastructure at a loss just to benefit the network, this means they get to see upside as well.

3 Likes

Hey all - I’d love to work with anyone interested in setting up a framework of support for any Akash validator that wants to get more involved in our community activities.

As some of you may know, I’m piloting a program (code named Akash Insiders) that aims to support content creators, event organizers and community moderators inside of the Akash community.

Developing a support system for our highly engaged community members is top high priority for me. Any and all feedback is very much welcome at this early stage of laying the foundational elements of our community offering.

Looking forward to reading through more of your feedback on this and future threads. :heart:

3 Likes

Support this initiative!

3 Likes

Great! When does it start?

2 Likes
  1. #1 is about the maximum commission, #3 is about the maximum voting power. These are two criteria a validator needs to meet (together with other criteria mentioned) in order to be eligible to this delegation plan.

2. I think validators should expect redelegation to and from their nodes.

1 Like

We participated in the operation of the test network and the genesis validator of the main network. Akash has always been very friendly to the validators, and we are very willing to contribute to the community
At present, many validators have few vote powers. It is possible to allocate vote powers to more validators can mention high network security.

1 Like

Ah read it too fast regarding #1, thanks, edited.

This looks really well thought out. Bliss Dynamics supports this framework!

I also think that the delegators will win with commissions coming down as currently only 17/75 validators have a commission of 3% or less. Although some validators may lose revenue, overall decentralisation will be improved.

4 Likes

I’m top 44 with a team delegation and my current commission is 10%, Am I at risk of losing my delegation if I don’t lower my commission?

This looks solid, and we are in full support for this criteria. If possible, I would advise to rethink on the max-commission cap, how about 5%? Which is 50% lesser than what we had previously. 3% might not be a good choice for lower end validators (PS: Witval gonna maintain its commission under 3% :smiley: ).

3 Likes

Hi @boz_m :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Thank You very much for the great guide for us. As we are very happy and currently receiving the delegation, we will support and do our best.

I hope we have a good time and timeframe for adjusting and building the contribution need so we can do our best according to the guideline.

I would like to have 2 idea to contribute:

1. Permanent testnet and edgenet, as we are still new and lower end in the Validation world of Cosmos Ecosystem, we very likely to follow for permanent validator node both on testnet and edgenet. We can do experiments and any accident there will be very safe. Hope it will be a good contribution for Akash Network.

2. How about to put the quality of validation as one of the core contribution on the list, for example: Response time when we have upgrade process, uptime, missed blocks, safety, IBC relayer, and also the quality of the validator node.

Kind Regards,
Martin (Min#6706)

1 Like

Thank You @anilcse,

As we need to keep with our best infrastructure and cover the cost,
5% might be very safe idea for lower end Validator :blush:

But I am sure AKT will go to double digits soon in the future :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: so let’s @boz_m decide the best for us

Kind Regards,
Martin (Min#6706)

1 Like