Proposal: Free IRC cloud service powered by Akash

(I’m writing this as a response to the campaign at https://filebase.com/akash/ )

Hello, I’m planning on using Akash for deploying my service. I’d be happy if I could get a small fund for moving it into Akash from AWS. The frontend is currently open-source, and I’m moving towards releasing the backend as open-source, too. I’m planning on advertising that it’s hosted on Akash on the landing page.

Project Title: Free IRC cloud service powered by Akash

Problem Statement: What is the problem you will solve?

The service will let anyone get access to a modernized IRC service for free.

Goals: What are you aiming to accomplish?

My goal is to find evidence that the Akash network is superior to the centralized counterparts. Also, find a cheaper host for the service that I currently provide to my users for free. Akash will enable me to create a smooth, trustless, and feeless donating system between the developer and the users so that the hosting fees can be covered with donations.

Impact: What impact will this project have?

Unless someone is willing to pay a monthly fee to a commercial IRC cloud service, there doesn’t seem to be many options for someone looking for a modern, multi-server-supported IRC experience with persisting connections and proper mobile support.

Budget: How much funding will this require?

50$ - 100$ (1 CPU, 1GB RAM, Linux OS + 1GB amount of storage). If audited providers are more expensive than others, then that would be needed to be taken into account in the grant. Due to the nature of the service, an audited provider seems like a must.

Timeline: What is the timeline for accomplishing this task?

From a couple of weeks to a few months, depending on how smoothly the process will be. I can only use my free time, which is limited.

Team: Are you looking for additional team members?

Currently, I’m a one-man team. Open to the idea, but not actively looking for anything.

Reporting: How will you report your progress to the community (e.g. weekly calls, reports)?

If there are people who are interested, I’d be happy to write about it whenever I make progress.

Design: Do you have any mock-ups or screenshots?

The current state of the service can be seen at https://freeirc.cloud.

1 Like

I have received 30 AKT as part of a community airdrop, thank you very much!

1 Like

can i receive it too