NEW: Developer Grants Program & Community Awards Board

Awesome developer program. Very detailed and well thought out.

We have a similar program at LikeCoin, in a smaller scale. Initially the submission was done through Github, but some non-developer applicants couldn’t handle (since our program covers promotion and community management as well), so we had to provide a [notion page]((Notion – The all-in-one workspace for your notes, tasks, wikis, and databases.) for applications too.

p.s. Voted Yes for proposal 9. Is a great use of Community Fund.

1 Like

Amazing to see the community come together here. As someone whose been involved with Akash since its inception, I’m super excited to see this conversation happening. I think this can catalyze a lot of new development with great engineers.

As a dev myself, I’ve been staying in tune with the progress, and feel it’s important to choose projects that improve the overall function of the Akash Network capabilities, such as private registries, database backups, private networking, etc., and would be great to choose projects that directly or indirectly contribute to make Akash 1-1 in features with AWS and other clouds (btw, it was great to see the recent postgres with backups example). I am biased, in that, I want to deploy everything on Akash one day!

It’s really cool to see and there are a lot of world class developers in the community, so I’m optimistic that we can build a better Web with these types of incentives. Count me in!

6 Likes

Colin,

I really appreciate the detailed explanation and the nomination. I think @baktun14 and I would be great additions to the CAB, if he accepts. (Maxime we love what you do!) I think the formation of the CAB is a necessary step before submitting a proposal to include a multisig wallet for the next phases of the Community Development Fund!

Little background about Chandra Station and the work we do for people to understand why we should be considered for a position on the CAB: We are early adopters of Akash having been around since 2017. Earlier this year we decided to run a Validator node on the Akash Network. Shortly after we began developing applications and deploying them to Akash. Some you can find guides for on our Github and Discord Server, while some are still in devopment and we are excited to release soon! We will not be requesting funding from the Community Development Fund for anything that we do so there will be no conflict of interest with regards to our position on the CAB.

9 Likes

Hey Colin,

Very well written summary of what has resulted from the back and forth on all the channels in the past 2 days. I was on the side lines of the discussions that sparked with @jackzampolin’s concerns, but I agree with the final decisions. It’s energizing to see everyone respectfully debate and come up with constructive solutions that will drive Akash to the success it deserves.

I’m honored to be nominated for the Community Awards Board, I think this will be the start of something really great.

I will gladly accept this nomination and will do my best to be up to the task. Thanks @Chalabi for the kind words, I think we can be great additions as well!

6 Likes

@jackzampolin @tombeynon and AGE validator. Tom, I know you are already busy enough but I think you would be a wonderful addition to the CAB. Jack, you pushed for the amendment and the multi sig so I think you should be a part of the conversation. If some one could tag a member from the AGE network team, they voiced their opinion with the Chandra Station team over telegram and added to the discussion. This is not a formal nomination, Chandra Station will be announcing our nomination soon but Ive tagged these members of the community in an effort to get the conversation going.

Remaining action items:

  • Expectations
  • Nominations
  • Meeting frequency
  • Mutli-sig

Expectations- CAB members should be expected to meet (frequency TBD) to discuss which projects should be funded above the $100 & $1000. CAB members should be expected to be available to sign multi-sig transactions when funding for certain projects is determined.

Nominations- So far @baktun14 and Chandra Station have been nominated to be on the CAB team and both of us have accepted and will be announcing our nominations soon. That will put the number of members on the CAB to 5.

Meeting Frequency- Open to hearing other CAB members availability.

Multi-sig- Who should be in charge of setting up the multi sig and will all the CAB members be apart of it? Should we have CAB affiliates or advisors who are not involved in the Multi-Sig operations but interact with the CAB by analyzing deployments that meet the expectations of the $10,000 - $100,000 funding opportunities?

Let’s get this conversation going, we are in no rush to get this figured out as we believe it is more beneficial to figure out the action items before releasing another proposal to fund the Multi-Sig wallet. If the current proposal for funding passes (As of 8/3/2021 8:30 PM UTC it’s looking like it will) that amount will go towards funding the initial phases. That will help speed up the Developer Grants Program which in turn speeds up adoption. We are inviting all members of the community to voice their opinion but please keep the conversation peaceful :grinning:

3 Likes

Hi Chalabi, I represent the AGE Network validator!

5 Likes

Splendid would love to have your insight on all this!

2 Likes

I’d be honoured to be nominated alongside you guys! I think the CAB is a fantastic idea and while I don’t hold a strong opinion either way about the multi-sig, the decision making should be as decentralised as possible. I could make myself available for a CAB meet as often as once per week if needed. Thank you for the nomination @Chalabi!

For those of you that don’t know me; I’m a seasoned developer and devops and I’ve been deploying and building tools for the ecosystem since I came across Akash. A few projects I’ve worked on include the cosmos-omnibus, akash-on-rails and the first deploy UI. I’m also a validator for Akash as of this week, so I’m invested in the ecosystem. As with most of you - I want to run everything on Akash and build whatever tooling I can to make that easier.

I want to add that I think the adjustments to the proposal have been handled extremely well, and it’s great to see that regardless of the outcome of the governance proposal, Akash/Chandra etc are following through with the community requests. I would also nominate @jackzampolin, @baktun14 and @Chalabi/Chandra without hesitation.

7 Likes

Kava Labs has voted in favor of Akash Network proposal 9 to fund the Akash Developer Program and Community Awards. Our yes vote reflects our belief that this program is essential for ecosystem growth and acceleration, and getting the program started is important at this time. However, we understand and agree with the concerns around managing funds using a treasury multi-sig and would like to offer an additional measure that could be adopted in the future. Namely, the committee module (kava/x/committee/spec at master · Kava-Labs/kava · GitHub) developed by Kava Labs would be an ideal fit for this type of program. In this case, a multi-sig committee (called a Member committee), could be created that has permissions scoped to creating and passing CommunitySpendProposala up to a certain AKT amount. This is beneficial because 1) no funds need to be transferred to a multi-sig address and 2) the committee is embedded within top level AKT governance, which gives a better check on the developer program while still allowing efficiencies. For example, if the program is not meeting it’s intended goals, AKT holders could submit a gov proposal to revoke the committee’s permissions, removing the ability to fund more projects. Additionally, the scope of the committee and its members could be expanded and contracted as the community sees fit. We would recommend the Akash core developer team and community consider moving to this type of structure, as we think it more aligned with the spirit of decentralized governance and can hopefully remedy the community’s legitimate concerns about custody of community pool funds. Thanks to all Akash community members for a very detailed discussion of this proposal, it is definitely a sign of a healthy ecosystem and hopefully we can all move forward together.

7 Likes

So the proposal passed and community pool spent. Will you just make a transfer to the multisig then or just leave it with the original proposal? Tbh either way we support it but definitely like the idea of the CAB.

1 Like

With a very very close vote, I think we have to respect the intent and spirit of the minority vote and respect it. We also have to respect the intent and spirit of the majority vote. Both groups appear to support the proposal, just not the multi-sig wallet that was in the proposal that passed. An off-chain amendment or compromise was made and shared by @Chalabi who submitted the proposal but voted “No” on the proposal.

The following is my understanding of the informal off-chain agreement between community leaders representing the No votes and Yes votes:

  • The community should control the larger amounts of funds.
  • The community awards board should be made up of a large majority of community members, not a majority of Akash founders and core team members.
  • The treasury should fund the smaller awards ($100) as needed for scaling/speed.
  • A new proposal should be made to send funds to a community managed wallet.

All of the above are implemented so far, except for the last bullet point. I have already modified the program’s details and nominated only community members NOT Akash employees to form the Community Awards Board (CAB).

Therefore, we plan to start holding public CAB meetings and let the community / CAB decide how to proceed, rather than make a unilateral decision and send funds to a hastily made multi-sig. If anyone in community wants to make an amendment to proposal #9, they can put it to a vote with a new proposal on chain - or simply reply here.

  1. Anyone can submit a new proposal for 100,000 AKT community pool spend to a new multi-sig. This would represent the 55.69% / 43.11% vote, and the funds would be 50/50 split between two wallets.
  2. Anyone can propose a non-spending vote to transfer the funds.
  3. Anyone can nominate someone to be on the Community Awards Board by posting here.

I propose that future proposals should fund developer projects directly, eliminating all the middle management of wallets and multi-sigs. This way, anyone can submit a project for funding, and if the community wants to award a developer a grant, the community can vote on chain for that specific project.

We now have 6 nominations for the CAB on this thread (double check my work, please):
@Chalabi @baktun14 @tombeynon @ethosAGE @jackzampolin and @colinster

On the Twitter Spaces held August 4th, I was nominated by @abozanich and one other listener.

I’d like to nominate the following people to be on the CAB:

10 Likes

Hello new CAB members!

1 Like

I propose we hold our first meeting this week! I’ll share an agenda tomorrow. How does Thursday August 12 at 2pm PST / 5pm EST / 10pm GMT work for everyone?

@Chalabi @tombeynon @baktun14 @ethosAGE @sarasioux @guacamole @its.maddie @kelseyru @mando222 @jackzampolin

4 Likes

August 12th at 2pm PST works for me!

1 Like

Fine with me, looking forward to it :rocket:

Good for me as well!

this is a good project

1 Like

Hey guys, I have one question. Is the grant program still open for new applications?

Yes! You can see the last board meeting was just a week ago: