Keplr Wallet Guide

:wave: Hey all!

We want to make it as easy as possible for more developers to deploy onto the Akash cloud. While for many of you this may be second nature. However, for new developers to crypto, there can be some roadblocks. For example, setting up something as simple as a Keplr wallet - a crucial step towards deployment - can be a hurdle for some.

So, with the simple goal of helping new developers set up their Keplr wallet, we wanted to approach the community for support. We thought the best way to teach others how to do this is by the community showcasing their knowledge of the process!

Ask:

Create a “Deploy onto Akash : Setting up your Keplr Wallet” guide

Reward:

• 100 AKT to the best deployment guide
  • We will post and credit the writer of this guide on the Akash blog
  • You might even get a little swag for your effort. :wink:

If you’d like to participate, follow the steps below:

1. Draft a “Deploy onto Akash : Setting up your Keplr Wallet” Guide
  2. Reply to this post and share your draft below.
  3. We will review all entrants
  4. One winner will be selected
  5. We will edit your post if needed, create a graphics for it, post to our social channels and add the winning guide onto the Akash blog!

:star: Bonus points - Create a video of the process to go along with the written guide.

Deadline for submissions is 8/13

If you have any questions, let us know in the thread below.

Thanks all, we can’t wait to review your submissions!

13 Likes

I am up for this challenge:
My previous guide: GitHub - Developer-piyush/AKASHCLOUD: A SIMPLE DAPP HOSTED ON DECENTRALISED CLOUD PLATFORM (AKASH NETWORK).
For new guide i will be making a guide from start to end with video tutorial

Thank you

4 Likes

Hi, is this open to people in the United States?

4 Likes

Here is my medium article: Deploy onto Akash : Setting up your Keplr Wallet | by Anthony Rosa | Aug, 2021 | Medium

Here is my YouTube video where I download Keplr and fund it with Akash using a centralized exchange. Then I use it to interact with Osmosis, create a second Keplr account in the same extension, and finally add other chains to the Keplr extension (HD Still Processing): Deploy onto Akash : Setting up your Keplr Wallet - YouTube

6 Likes

Yes. It’s open to anyone that wants to give it a try! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, thank you! I’ll see whether I can get an entry done on time!

1 Like

This is awesome! Thanks @amrosa!

Hey there - We don’t have any oversite into how or why Keplr designs their website the way they do. I’d say, if you think it’s an important point to address, add to your guide!

Do we have to to also publish how to deploy an app using Keplr or only how to install and fund Keplr?

1 Like

I think the best submissions would include install, fund, deploy with Keplr. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, I published this guide. I wrote it in markdown so that it would work in Gitbook too if you want to post it there instead of just the blog. I also included the new Developer Grants program, which can be very useful to keep people in the loop after scaring them with exchanges here and there :smiley:

I did not include any graphics as you said you would do that, but if that’s wrong - please let me know and I’ll add some pictures ASAP :sweat_smile: I included this video for chrome, too, for the “bonus points” :wink:

Thanks for the quick opportunity! Let me know if I missed anything.

3 Likes

While making my guide, I saw some grammar errors & link errors in the docs. I fixed these now, can you take a look at my PR? minor fixes by figurestudios · Pull Request #222 · ovrclk/docs · GitHub

2 Likes

Hey Adam, I was just interacting with you as @bitcoinappdev on here. Unfortunately, there’s a rule prohibiting new users from more than 3 posts per thread. Rate limiting as done on Stack Exchange makes sense, but 3 posts per person will mostly just cause frustration in my opinion, in case you know who’s in charge of that.

Anyway, just want to let you know that I have confirmed that Keplr’s team and website are awesome!

Keplr wallet guide incoming!!! :man_astronaut: :telescope: :rocket:

2 Likes

Sorry actually please disregard that post. I was upgraded to regular user by another leader so I will continue using this account. I have confirmed that the Keplr team and website are awesome. Submission incoming!

2 Likes

Hi Adam!

I’ve submitted my draft text and bonus video below :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

First a few notes:

The video is a draft.

If I win the 100 AKT, you have my permission to use or modify the text and video in any way you like.

I am also willing to send you the zipped Camtasia project file or individual audio or video layers for your team to edit or polish.

You’ll have my permission to use all content for other projects as well, except for the music.

The music may only be used for this guide because I composed and produced it long before this challenge. However, if you don’t like the music, feel free to switch it out for something even more fitting.

Should The Keplr Wallet Setup Guide Include A Deployment Example? :thinking:

I would like to address one point about the structure of the content, if I may?

In a reply to a question, you wrote “I think the best submissions would include install, fund, deploy with Keplr.”

I can understand why you, and anyone, would think that.

We tend to think that “more is more,” right?

You’re showing developers more info, so it’s better! Right?

I was shocked to learn through several years of successful math teaching and eCommerce marketing:

With educational content, focus is more.

Yes, you can publish a big mega-guide. But you’ll see the most successful ones online are divided into bite-sized chapters.

Here are three examples that may help clarify the importance of one guide teaching one thing:

First Example (devs may relate):

When building an app in a component-based framework, say, React…

It’s best to keep your codebase simple enough for you to understand the structure almost at a glance.

If the code in one file gets too complex, you refactor it.

You might have a component for your navigation, and one for your comments section, as separate JS files.

That would make sense.

But… would you create one component that returns JSX to render both your nav and comments section, and name that component “Nav”?

Probably not, right? Because that would be disorganized and confusing.

Sure you can compose components… but you define separate things as separate components.

That’s like trying to show both setting up a Keplr wallet and deploying to Akash in the same guide.

The title “Deploy onto Akash: Setting up your Keplr Wallet” suggests that the guide is focused on wallet set up, in the bigger context of deployment. And it suggests that other deployment steps will not be covered in the guide.

If a developer is roadblocked on how to set up a DeFi wallet… then how far along do you think they are with installing Akash via CLI? I would guess not very.

If a developer is already at a point of being able to deploy their app, then I would think they are likely a DeFi wallet power user. They already know how to set up Keplr and use AKT, or they can easily figure it out.

So they would be looking for a deployment-specific video, not a wallet setup video.

Trying to do both in one video is like putting two different front-end elements in the same React component, especially considering how much more involved of a process the deployment itself is.

I propose a solution for how to structure the bigger deployment guide series after the next two examples.

Second Example (from the music education world)

A well-respected guitar teacher once told me his strategy for helping new students get rockin’:

Teach them to play Smoke On The Water.

Only a few power chords, nothing fancy.

It takes 5 to 10 minutes once a student can make a power chord with their hand.

But once the student has learned it… they feel awesome.

They have a sense of accomplishment.

They get the rush of dopamine hitting synapses in their brain.

They are already successful.

Giving learners a quick-win experience is essential.

Overwhelming them with tons of information all at once is a no-go.

It reminds me of a story Albert Einstein told about his tennis lessons. The instructor kept telling him all kinds of info. Way too much.

“Adjust your elbow! Stay on your toes! Keep moving! Bla bla bla…” until Einstein got so overwhelmed that he grabbed an armful of tennis balls, threw them all in a flurry at the instructor, and said “Catch!”

I’m paraphrasing the Einstein story but I hope you get the point.

Focus is more. One piece at a time benefits the learner and gets them hooked.

Information overload leads to frustration and giving up for many people.

Each educational / marketing piece should give the learner a feeling of having achieved something tangible.

To that end, I even assigned “Funwork” at the end of my video draft (with my VA doing the voiceover).

After the new developer does their funwork, they will get the dopamine release. They will feel excited. They will feel proud. They will have “braingasms” and come back for more.

That’s why focused lessons with one productive outcome can be so effective.

I hope that makes sense!

The third example should drive this point home, because I’ll use your words from the original challenge post. :smirk:

Third and Most Effective Example (I hope): Original Challenge Post

You wrote “for new developers to crypto … setting up something as simple as a Keplr wallet … can be a hurdle for some.”

You’re right! 100%

And those people aren’t ready to deploy yet, if setting up a DeFi wallet is a hurdle (in my opinion).

Which is fine! They’re still getting onboarded to AKT, and then they can grow from there as they progress through the entire series of guides.

See what I mean?

You even state that the challenge has the “simple goal of helping new developers set up their Keplr wallet” if I’m understanding you correctly.

Calling back the React example… is two different main DOM objects in one components simple? Or complex?

Complex, right? Maybe not very complex but still not simple.

Likewise, would an article or video showing both wallet setup and deployment be simple? Or complex? I would say complex.

Again, nothing wrong with mega-guides. But that’s not quite what the challenge was stated to be, as far as I can tell.

As a part of a coherent series, yes I could see taking a few seconds to show funding the account and configuring

In my video, I don’t show moving any funds. In the context of a series of guides with an actual example app, I would do so, because moving real coins would be relevant to the app.

However, my impression is that you are planning this guide as a standalone release.

Deploying to Akash is a CLI-based 10-step process, according to the official docs.

Because you are posting this to social media, where everyone can see it - not just super techy programmers who tend to enjoy information overload - it would be good to make it so simple that everyone can understand it, ELI5 style :slight_smile:

“New developer” could mean new to Akash, or maybe new to developing! I consider myself a new developer and I still earned some honorable mentions in a recent hackathon I entered solo… so I know people can grasp developing if they’re motivated.

Giving them a “quick win” experience is motivating, due to the dopamine neurochemistry I mentioned in the examples.

That being said, here’s what I propose:

Consider making this part of an example project -based series with all 10 steps.

1. Deploy Onto Akash: Install Akash
  2. Deploy Onto Akash: Create An Account
  3. Deploy Onto Akash: Fund Your Account
  4. Deploy Onto Akash: Connect To The Network
  5. Deploy Onto Akash: Create Your Configuration
  6. Deploy Onto Akash: Create Your Certificate
  7. Deploy Onto Akash: Create Your Deployment
  8. Deploy Onto Akash: View Your Bids
  9. Deploy Onto Akash. Create A Lease
  10. Deploy Onto Akash: Send The Manifest

with the Keplr wallet setup lesson coming before or being linked to from within the “Fund Your Account” guide… or perhaps as a prerequisite guide, because if someone can’t or won’t do the wallet setup, they’re probably not going to deploy a full app anyway.

Depending where this guide goes in the bigger series, we would change the final text, reading “Next: Installing Akash” in the video guide I made. There’s a text overlay reading “Next: Installing Akash” which either I or your team can modify according to your preference. I’m willing to make one round of trivial changes like that for no additional cost beyond the 100 AKT prize.

Each separate guide can be another piece of content for your social media team to publish and repurpose. And breaking the content up like this helps the new developers. Win win!

You can modify the titles however you’d like.

And we can talk about hiring me to consult with you on the series if you like my submission.

I am excited about the possibility of deploying on Akash myself, now, so I would enjoy working for you in that way if you are on board with that plan.

Moving on to the main attraction… again, draft video.

My VA is great but voiceovers isn’t her main thing, nor is English. She mispronounces some words and she’s using a cheap headset for recording. I’m thankful that she helped me out by reading this one to show you a proof of concept!

You should have a professional voiceover artist doing the recordings if you’re serious about this onboarding new devs en masse, because recording audio is its own art and science and people strongly prefer audio that sounds good.

I would be willing to perform final edits on the video as well, if you’d like. I could polish the transitions and animations, add sound effects when the Chrome and Brave logos pop up… little finishing touches like that. And I could hire a VO artist on Fiverr if it’s helpful.

Or if you prefer to pay me 100 AKT and take the article and video and run with it, be my guest!

It’s been a pleasure creating this guide and learning about Keplr. :dizzy::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::rocket:

Now without further ado, the draft text and video link.

=====

Deploy onto Akash : Setting up your Keplr Wallet

So, you’d like to deploy your app to Akash Network - the unstoppable cloud!

Excellent choice!

The world’s first open-source cloud, Akash helps developers deploy faster and scale quickly.

You’ll pay for your app’s cloud hosting with AKT, Akash’s native token.

AKT is a reserve currency in the Cosmos ecosystem.

Keplr wallet lets you explore the world of interoperable blockchain applications within the Cosmos ecosystem and beyond.

And Keplr runs on Google Chrome or Brave Browser!

To set up your wallet, start by installing the Keplr Chrome Extension.

You can install the developing version from the Keplr’s Official GitHub Repository, or simply get the production version at the Google Chrome Web Store for the fastest and easiest setup.

To install from GitHub, go to Keplr.app.

Click “Dashboard.”

Scroll down and click “Keplr extension” under “Links.”

This will take you to the GitHub repository.

Install the extension by following the installation directions via the link in the ReadMe.

To install the production extension, either click “Get Started” at the Keplr.app and click the link that pops up…

or Google “Keplr Chrome extension” and click the top search result: chrome.google.com.

Next, click “Add to Chrome.”

Click “Add Extension.”

And pin Keplr to your toolbar for easy access!

To create an account, either click “Sign in with Google” or “Create New Account”, whichever you prefer.

We’ll walk through the “Create new account” option.

Write down your 12-word secret “seed phrase” on paper or copy it to an encrypted file.

Warning: Anyone with your seed phrase can take your assets. If you lose your seed phrase, it cannot be recovered.

So keep it safe!

To finish your Keplr wallet setup, give your wallet a name and a password and click “Next.”

You’ll be prompted to arrange your seed phrase in order, to prove that you really copied it down.

And click “Done”!

You’re all set!

Now open the Keplr extension and begin exploring the world of interoperable blockchain applications - including your own once you deploy to Akash!

To deposit coins, click the currency of your choice from the top menu.

Then click “Deposit” and either scan or copy the address that appears.

Finally, send coins to that address from anywhere. For example, you can send Cosmos, also known as Atom, from Coinbase.

Now you’re ready to do staking, governance, and swapping for AKT and other amazing tokens.

You can get some AKT from Osmosis at osmosis.zone.

Once you’re in the Lab, click “Connect Wallet” and away you go!

Congratulations! You’ve completed setting up your Keplr wallet.

Now you’re ready to use AKT to deploy onto Akash. :grin:

=====

Video Guide Link (unlisted YouTube vid) => Deploy Onto Akash: Setting Up Your Keplr Wallet

=====

Thank you for putting on this challenge! As I mentioned, this experience has gotten me excited about the idea of deploying my app on Akash!

All the best,
Andy

1 Like

I had trouble setting aside time for recording & editing, so I ended up making another written guide for the deployment instead of the video. I mentioned it in the original guide near the end, and you can read it here.

2 Likes

Hello, I created a guide to creating an Akash Wallet and funding it.
The current draft to my guide is in the following link link:

2 Likes

STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO INSTALL KEPLR WALLET AND DEPLOY APP ON AKASH CLOUD

Guide: Click here

2 Likes

Thanks @bitcoinappdev ! I made some small changes to requirements for new users to be upgraded trust levels which should help. It’s a spam guard all and all. :slight_smile: Looking forward to reviewing your guide!

1 Like

Very awesome, thank you, Adam!!!