At the moment, I choose my provider mainly according to the bid price. But since there are often several bids, it is difficult to decide on one. Often I just randomly pick one, and I think others will feel the same way.
Especially when it comes to hosting there are more parameters to consider than the price. It would be practical to have profiles of the providers in order to be able to better choose the provider.
It could include following points:
- Hardware (Intel, AMD, processor type, etc.)
- uplink (100 Mbit/s, 1 Gbit/s, …)
- Hosting location (data center or the own garage)
- Maybe a small custom description why someone should choose the provider
- Contact/Communication thread (on case of outages)
- Many data centers nowadays operate with renewable energy. Maybe that could be added too
Those would be my first thoughts. Of course providing those informations should be optional.