Discord Bot to Teach Chinese

Project Title:

Discord Bot to Teach Chinese

Problem Statement: What is the problem you will solve?

The problem is that to pass the HSK 1 written exam, you need to memorise a lot of chinese characters and know their english translations. When trying this with traditional methods like writing them out a lot of times, I often get bored or distracted. This bot will turn learning into a game or quiz. Some of the stretch

Goals: What are you aiming to accomplish?

To pass my HSK 1 exam and complete all of my stretch goals for this bot.

Impact: What impact will this project have?

I will present this project to the rest of my year which means that a lot of people will see how easy it is to host on Akash, even for a beginner such as myself. It will also help people who want to learn Chinese and like me are preparing for a HSK 1 written exam. Also if I get funding, I will put any leftover funding to stake back to Akash validators.

Budget: How much funding will this require?

£100-£1000

Timeline: What is the timeline for accomplishing this task?

The university deadline is in June 2022. However, I will still work on the task once this deadline has been met and I have graduated. I want to expand the bot to be a general quiz bot that can help students revise for any subject.

Team: Are you looking for additional team members?

No, my university requires me to do this project individually.

Reporting: How will you report your progress to the community (e.g. weekly calls, reports)?

All of my code is available on my GitHub (GitHub - Jimbok21/DiscordBot: 3rd Year Project). I have bi-weekly progress reports with my university mentor that I could also upload online. I will write a full progress report in June when I hit my deadline. It will include future plans for the project and what I have accomplished so far.

Design: Do you have any mock ups or screenshots?

Here is a video of the current state of the project (Project Demo Video Jimbok21 - YouTube)

1 Like

Hello,
This looks very interesting, and you have a working Alpha version. Would you be interested in presenting to the CAB at the next CAB meeting? I will be happy to connect with you via video chat to help prepare you to present.

Alani

That sounds great! When is the next CAB meeting? I would love to present my project. It would be great if I could do a Discord call with you to help with my presentation.

Jimmy

March 9th, next week 6 - 7 PM EST.

Sorry, I am unavailable for that meeting. Are there any other future CAB meetings that I could present at?

Next opportunity to present will be in April or May.

I could do a presentation in April. Do you know what date it would be on?

Hi,
Would it be possible to do a discord call with you sometime to practice the presentation?

Thanks,
Jimmy

Hello,
Of course, lets do it. I’m available this week.

Alani

Good! Can we do it sometime tomorrow? I’m free after 3pm BST

11AM EST works for me. I can send you the meeting link if that works for you.

Thats good for me too. Please dm me the meeting link. I’ll see you tomorrow at 11AM EST

I will need you email address to send a meeting invitation to.

jimmykells@sky.com or my discord Jimbok21#1957

I just sent you an invitation

1 Like