Discord Bot to Teach Chinese Grant Application

Grant Application

Questionnaire:

Contact Information:

1. First & Last Name: (optional) Jimmy Kells
  2. Email Address: jimmykells@sky. com (I have to add the space because I can only post 2 links in this topic)
  3. Akash Wallet Address: akash1un3gy29yja39j0455q2p9rrtl4e0j4tjrfqfws
  4. Akashian URI: Akash Community - Akash Developer Community
  5. Time Zone: GMT
  6. Language: English

Social Networks

1. Discord Username: Jimbok21#1957
  2. Discourse Username:
  3. Github: Jimbok21
  4. Twitter:
  5. LinkedIn:
  6. Website:
  7. Blog:

Experience:

1. Are you a developer or software engineer? Developer/student
  2. Are you currently involved in Akash’s Discord developer community channel? (discord.akash.network) Yes
  3. Have you deployed on Akash’s Mainnet or Testnet? (docs.akash.network) No
  4. Do you have other team members? No
  5. Are you looking for additional team members? No
  6. Are you interested in working on Akash full-time? Akash is hiring engineers and contractors. Not at the moment, I am a full-time University student right now
  7. What Cloud hosting services do you currently use? (Amazon/Google/Microsoft) None
  8. How much do you pay per month for Cloud services / hosting? N/A
  9. How did you hear about this program? Through a friend

Product Vision:

1. What is your project? A discord bot to teach Chinese. The bot is expandable to teach anything that has short question and answers.
  2. What is the problem you will solve? The problem is that to pass the HSK 1 written exam, you need to memorise a lot of chinese characters and know their english translations. When trying this with traditional methods like writing them out a lot of times, I often get bored or distracted. This bot will turn learning into a game or quiz. Some of the stretch goals will keep track of scores so that I can compete against my friends.
  3. What are your goals? To pass my HSK 1 exam and complete all of my stretch goals for this bot.
  4. What impact will this project have on the Akash developer community? It can help people who want to learn Chinese and show that a complete beginner can easily host a project on Akash. I will answer questions that other beginners have who want to host their projects on Akash.
  5. Who will use your project when it’s complete? Me along with anyone who is interested in learning Chinese
  6. Will you monetize your project? No
  7. Will you open source your project? Yes

Product Leadership / Drive:

1. Tell us about yourself, your passion, your values. I am a computer science student at Swansea University. I am doing my final year project and want to use Akash to host the discord bot. I am dedicated to completing this project and doing it well so that I can get a good grade. When I finish university, I want to expand the bot to be a bot that can ask any custom questions to help with revision for any subject.
  2. What’s your aspiration for blockchain technology? I like the idea of Web3 and I think that more applications will use blockchain technology in the future. I also think that crypto coins have a very high potential and could one day replace current standard currencies.
  3. If you had $1 million in grant funding what would you do? Make the best discord bot you’ve ever seen. I wouldn’t be able to hire other developers because the university wants this to be an individual project. However, once my deadline is finished and I leave university, the project will become mine and I can do whatever I want with it including hiring other developers to expand the bot to be a general revision tool for any subject. Any leftover funding would stake back to Akash validators
  4. Who will benefit most from your project? Students who are starting to learn Chinese
  5. How will you help grow the Akash community? I will put any leftover funding to stake back to Akash validators. I will also hold some AKT and I will present my project to the rest of my year and tell them all about the benefits of hosting on Akash.
  6. How will you make Akash approachable to developers? I will promote Akash to my university when I go to present my project and talk about how I had very little background knowledge of hosting, to being able to host my bot on Akash.
  7. How do you think Akash should improve? Make more tutorials for beginners, especially video tutorials

Product Execution:

1. How would you utilize the grant funding? It will fund the development tools and equipment that I will need. It will also cover the cost of hosting the bot on Akash servers. When the university deadline is over, I will still continue working on the bot and may require funding for that. Also advertising the discord link. Finally, any remaining funding will stake back to Akash validators.
  2. Have you already started this work? Yes, its ½ complete
  3. Do you have a GitHub or website for your project? Yes, it can be found on my GitHub under the repo ‘DiscordBot’.
  4. How will this task be accomplished? For my university module, I made an initial document of the project that shows how I will go about developing it along with background research.
  5. How would you break this work up into 3 or 4 phases / milestones? The university sets deadlines and I made a Gantt chart to set my own smaller deadlines. Also I will continue to work on the bot after the university deadline and work on one new feature at a time
  6. How many months of work will this project require? The university deadline is June 2022, however I will continue to work on this project and add any new features that I didn’t have time to add by June.
  7. What’s the expected amount of funding required for your project? £100 - £1000

Product Progress:

1. Will you open source your project? Yes
  2. How do you plan to share your work with the community once complete? The code will be open source and the discord server link will be posted publicly and maybe advertised
  3. Will you report your progress to the community every month? I will update the GitHub every time my bot is updated. I have bi-weekly progress update meetings with my university project coordinator. When the university deadline is over, I will make update documents to show when I update the bot and add a new feature.
  4. Do you have any screenshots, videos, or other context you can share? Yes! The bot is running fine locally. If I hosted my bot right now it would be a minimum viable product. I have stretch goals that I will spend the rest of my time implementing along with writing my final dissertation. I will provide a video of the bot running locally. Here is the link (Project Demo Video Jimbok21 - YouTube)

Developer Associations:

1. Are you associated with any accelerators, incubators, venture capital firms, or startup funds? No but my project is associated with my university
  2. Are you associated with any startup communities?
  3. Are you associated with the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF)?
  4. Are you associated with any open source projects?
  5. Are you associated with any of the Akash Network core team members?

Legalese:

1. Are you a resident of, citizen, or located in a geographic area that is subject to UN-, US-, EU-, Swiss or any other sovereign country sanctions or embargoes? Yes, I am in the UK.
  2. Are you over the age of 18? Yes