[Community Project Proposal] Minetest Akash Network & Play to Earn research

Project Title: Minetest Akash Network & Play to Earn research

Problem Statement:

Everyone LOVES minecraft, the fact that we can run decentralized servers of minecraft is amazing. BUT, you could never build an actual business or long term dapp run by a DAO because minecraft is owned by microsoft, so you dont have correct license to do so, and its closed source.

Minetest is a community run Open-Source alternative to minecraft that should be ported to run on Akash to jump start an open source gaming ecosystem on Akash Network.

Goals: What are you aiming to accomplish?

1. Encourage use of an Open-Source alternative for minecraft, MineTest
  2. create the first Play-to-earn game on Akash by connecting to the Polygon blockchain with meta-transactions + webhooks added as a mod to the minetest server (which runs on akash)

Impact: What impact will this project have?

The impact here is we can onboard lots of users to crypto and teach them about wallets using in-game commands and items. Gamers easy understand crypto because they already know they can assign real value to digital goods. But maybe they lack the right place to learn how that is even better in crypto because they actually own their digital assets, instead of them just living on a centralized server that could be deleted at any time. A really good looking game that is familiar, easy to join, and has real value that can be extracted from it could go a long way as a trojan horse to teach normal people about crypto.

Budget: How much funding will this require?

$5000 for a prototype would be really helpful to get started and then I would know after finishing that how much work to make a full product would be.

Timeline: What is the timeline for accomplishing this task?

Prototype complete by February
Further exploration after that depending on feedback from users and Akash community

Team: Are you looking for additional team members?

Sure! I have all the skills to build this myself, but some Front End developer or designer skills might be helpful to me. Also if people are interesting in joining right away some discord mods & community manager skills & time would be very appreciated.

Reporting: How will you report your progress to the community (e.g. weekly calls, reports)?

A weekly town hall on discord could be nice. I will post updates on the forum and the code will be in an open source github repo so anyone can follow along too.

Design: Do you have any mock ups or screenshots?

Mods running on the akash server can add server commands users can call to send web requests which start transactions on a blockchain:

Users can use signs to interact with their wallet, assigned when they log in and stored locally only

In game assets can be tradable for real crypto

What I’m thinking for an MVP is:

• minetest port that runs on akash, including a deployment script that is one cmd to run for anyone who wants to use it
  • a client mod that adds evm accounts to users when they log in and stores creds locally
  • a server mod that lets users send+receive an ERC20 on polygon in game as a player command like /send [username] 5000