AMA session Akash Network with Praetor app

Praetor App provides an easy way to become a cloud provider for Akash Network. You can become a provider using a simplified UI rather than Command-line Interface. Once you become a cloud provider, and if the deployers choose your provider to deploy their application, they pay you in AKT.

In our Telegram chat, we spoke with Jigar Patel, Founder of the Praetor app!

Let’s start with our intro questions. Can you tell us more about yourself and the team behind the Praetor app.

Hello, My name is Jigar. I am the founder and CEO of Praetor. In previous years I headed a software development company called Arc10 Technologies. In addition, I have worked as a software architect in both public and private sector companies. That’s enough for my introduction.

If I walk about our team, we are a diverse group of experienced developers spanning enterprise, mobility, and blockchain applications. Our team is a Web3, and the blockchain application development team concentrates on developing decentralized applications that advance internet development.
That is who we are.

For those who don’t know or missed our yesterday Twitter spaces, can you please explain what the Praetor app is, and how did you come up with the idea?

Praetor makes blockchain human-friendly by removing entry barriers and improving the user experience on the Network.
Praetor Provider makes it simple to become an Akash Network cloud provider. Instead of utilizing the Command-line Interface, you can use a streamlined UI to become a provider.

At the beginning of this year, we began our journey by signing up as a cloud provider on Akash and renting out our spare resource capacity. We soon discovered that using Akash as a cloud provider needs command-line expertise, which takes time and exposes users to numerous errors. We then decided to create a product with a streamlined user interface that allows people to become cloud providers.

Next, we participated in testing testnet3 and mainnet3 upgrades in between. Our sentry and validator nodes were operational during the upgrade even though we weren’t part of the active validator group. However, we observed that the mainnet3 upgrade took approximately 15 hours to complete and that several validators were unavailable. We brought up the issue with Akash’s leadership team. We requested the delegation to include ourselves in the active validator set so we can participate in crucial Network developments.

That is our journey so far.

What are the requirements for ordinary people to become a provider on Akash? Is there are any specifications?

A simple answer would be a powerful server, but the ideal machine can have at least 4 vCPU, 8 GB RAM and 30 GB Hard Drive. Furthermore, we are encouraging people to provide their multi-node clusters to Akash.

We ask users to keep in mind that they must make their machine available 24x7. A stable power supply and good internet will help you get your machines filled up with deployments.

Akash requires that users must have Server Administration Skills and Kubernetes Experience to become a cloud provider on the Network. Praetor makes the process easy, so anyone without administration skills or Kubernetes experience can become a cloud provider on the Network.

Let’s talk about profits. Is there a calculator to see if my compute is profitable for rent, and how much I can get from it per month?

We and Akash insider team used to get asked this question many times before. That’s why we published a simple-to-use calculator where the user can input their resource capacity and what is the price they want to charge based on the scale of the resource. For example, how much they want to charge per block for 1 vCPU, their deployers use. It gives them a clear idea of how much each resource is weighted and how much money they can generate based on the percentage it gets filled up.

Now, this calculator is used by many providers to calculate their projected revenue. We even provided projected income calculations when they become a cloud provider using the Praetor app based on the resources they bring.

We believe they can make informed decisions about what price they need to set to become profitable. If anyone here wants to take a look at the calculator, here is the link - Praetor Provider Platform

What’s in the pipeline for the upcoming quarter for Praetor?

We just released a significant update for providers where we have simplified the process of becoming a provider with persistent storage. The release also includes an improvement to the dashboard where providers can change their bid engine price, update their domain name and renew the certificate accordingly.

The next release will have more features; for example, providers can see all current and previous leases and look at their projected earnings. In addition, users can add or remove nodes using our web app.

So far, we have worked on enriching the application to help the supply side of the Akash Network. Our next major step will be toward the consumer side of the Network. We believe if we make it simple for end-user regardless of whether they are suppliers or consumers of the Network, it will give a significant bust in the adaptation.

We would love to see all kinds of projects using Akash for their go-to computational need. But, the current form of Akash Network has some limitations. Here I want to give you an example; deploying to Akash Network requires the developer to make their application containerized. Unfortunately, not all developers know how to make their applications compatible with deploying on Kubernetes. If we can take that heavy lift on us, we can extend the Network’s reach to uncharted market share.

Our company used to help other companies containerize their applications, run their workload on Kubernetes and scale their application. We would utilize our expertise and provide a seamless experience to end-user. We think we can combine the advantages of Akash’s cheap and decentralized cloud and our expertise in making things easy for the user.

That’s what we are working on next.

Let’s move on to the questions from the community and see what our guys have prepared!

I’m a noob in this provider thing, so let’s say I have a PC and I want to rent it’s compute.

1. is there a chance that my hardware can be broken at some point because of high workloads?

2. what if the Light at my house will be off, does it hurt to people that rent my compute?

3. Will I be able to become a provider without an audit?

4. It shouldn’t be a problem as your PC hardware can handle the load and will not throttle.

5. Yes, but it will only affect leases hosted on your machine.

6. Yes, you can skip the audit part.

Can I somehow check that my compute is used?

Yes, you can check how much compute is used by login into our app

I see on the site that there are 36 providers and a lot of unused compute as of now. So how can i be sure that when I’ll become a provider I will be able to make gains on this?

There are few things that makes you attractive provider on the Network.

1. Audited Provider
  2. 100% uptime
  3. Competitive Price

Is it profitable to buy in bulk compute in data centers and sell them on Akash by becoming a provider?

Yes, we have helped users who rent compute from datacenters and become profitable provider on Akash.

Will users somehow be warned if I shut down my provider?

Yes, you can use our latest feature that give advance notice to users about downtimes, upgrades etc.

Checkout out latest tweet.

Do you plan to create an app that I can download on a PC, so it’s checked my parameters and say: you can sell this many CPUs, RAM, and Storage, and you will get this many AKT per month. So I don’t have to calculate all the variables?

We provide this functionality during the process when you become provider through Praetor

Can I still use my PC when i start to be a provider and sell compute?

If you have powerful PC (checkout our minimum recommendation → Build a Cloud Provider - Praetor App

Let’s say I become a provider on Akash with 2 clicks, what’s my next step? Do I have to fight for the bids on the Marketplace? or check my parameters, or something else?

Once you become a provider, all the bids will come to your provider and if resources are satisfied then your provider will automatically bid on it.
There are few things that makes you attractive provider on the Network.

1. Audited Provider
  2. 100% uptime
  3. Competitive Price

If you have additional questions Please connect with us on twitter.
https://twitter.com/praetor_app

2 Likes